"You are so much alone with him as if you were the only being He had ever created. When Christ died, He died for you individually just as if you had been the only man in the world." -C.S. Lewis

Monday, March 16, 2015

WEEK 76 - The One Where we Need to Get back Into the Water

W had a lot of miracles this week. A daughter of God was baptized this week... I've never experienced such a beautiful, powerful baptism in my whole mission. Everything was planned so perfectly. Her sweet uncle, who was going to baptize, her had been practicing with the Elders to get the ordinance just right, the music and the decorations were all set, the members present; but I guess I needed to learn something. When it was time for the ordinance, the water was very hot for both of them and we took 10 or 25 minutes trying to cool it down. Madelin was very nervous to get into the hot water so we said a prayer before she stepped into the water so she would be able to bare it. They got into the water with intentions of doing the ordinance quickly and then getting out and that is not how it turned out. The sweet brother was very nervous and couldn't seem to get the words right. After about 10 tries he spoke the sweet words and the attempt to put her under the water was not complete. After about 6 or 7 more tries of putting her under the water, the witnesses said it was done. She got out of the water devastated, embarrassed and heart broken. With that, we knew that this saving ordinance if done correctly would not leave her feeling that way. We knew that she had not completely submerged in the water and completed the ordinance. After the Bishop prayed and talked to the witnesses, they decided it would need to be done another time. That means that me and my companion would have to go in and explain it to Madelin. I didn't know what I would say to her... We walked into the bathroom and she was completely dressed in her clothes with tears in her eyes. I prayed so much within my heart. I told her that because our Heavenly Father loves us so much and because He is perfect and wants us to be perfect one day, his ordinances have to be perfect. I testified of the Lords love and my companion as well and then I said, "Sister, will you put the dress back on? We need to do it again?" She looked down at the floor and she shook her head "No".  My heart sank within me and I couldn't believe it. I held her tight and told her its the only way we can enter into the kingdom of God. It doesn't matter about anyone else, but this was an ordinance with her and God. My companion promised that if the ordinance was done right she would not feel this way. I've never talked with so much of my heart, it all came down to... if it was really true, if this ordinance was really true if it really mattered. We stood close and my companion offered a powerful prayer and asked the Lord to give us courage to enter into the water again. We asked her again "Will you put on the dress?" This time with courage she put the dress on. It was a long walk into the font.  We prayed with in our heart and the ordinance was done perfectly. I'll never forget when she turned around that corner and we saw that smile on her face, she felt the spirit testify that it was right. We put the towel on her and she said thank you.
The Lord loves us so much and wants us to prepare for eternity. This is his perfect church and it may take us our whole lives to get something right, but he is right there beside us giving us as many times as it takes, till one day we can be perfected. I pray that we can all be humble like Madelin and get back in the water Get back in the water and remember the covenants we have made with the Lord and do whatever it takes to keep them again. Put the things of the world behind us and put the white dress back on.

Another miracle with a member. We have a family that had plans to get married and baptized this weekend. After working with them this week we realized that they were struggling and it wasn't their desire to be married this weekend. We as missionaries testified of gospel truths but more then that, we collaborated in our ward council to save this family. We talked with members and made assignments. We had lunch with on of the second councilors and we used our time with wisdom. We talked of references and talked of the investigators. We invited them to visit this family today instead of the following sunday. Later that night as we were doing our numbers we took this family off the baptismal list and prayed for them. After giving our numbers, the family called us and told us that the bishop and his second counciler had visited them and they decided it was the right thing to get married and are going to be baptized this weekend. We are so grateful for the members and we knew it was a miracle from the lord. The members can do things that we as missionaries some times can't. We are so grateful for the ward council and all they do.

 

I've been thinking a lot about what I've learned this week. And I've been thinking a great deal about a talk I recently read; "The Lord has a Plan for Us" https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2014/10/the-lord-has-a-plan-for-us?lang=eng   and I was thinking so much about a question he poses, "If you continue living the way you are living, will the promised blessings in your patriarchal blessing be fulfilled?" I love this question! and its a question we need to ask ourselves everyday. We need to remember what is going to bring eternal happiness. Because this life is short and what we do here determines are eternal life! It determines our eternal state that we will take after death. I've learned here in the mission what things are most important. I'm a big dreamer and I want to learn and do just about everything, but I know that I need to keep an eternal perspective. I need to keep the blessings the lord wants for me in my mind constantly. I love you all so much and don't forget to keep progressing and doing what the Lord would have you do.

 

Hermana Ellison

No comments:

Post a Comment